We are excited to present a special opportunity for youth to have their writing published on a well-known blog of a famous photographer, Owen Deutsch. Owen has joined up with the ABA young birder programs to help foster a conservation ethic by sharing a love of birds through the crafts of writing and photography. The ABA selected the first young writers to be recognized from the Young Birder of the Year Mentoring Program writing module submissions.
Are you a young writer that would like to be published? We want to provide the opportunity to share your work with a wider audience!
Please follow these steps and guidelines to submit your written work for consideration. You must have an active ABA Student Membership to be eligible:
- Selected young writer awardees will receive a $100 honorarium.
- Browse the blog post archives on Owen’s site for inspiration! View Owen’s Blog https://owendeutsch.com/blog/
- Select one of Owen’s bird images to accompany your blog post. View Owen’s Photographs https://owendeutsch.com/search/
- You may seek help from a teacher, parent, and/or mentor to review your writing.
- Submit a final draft as a Word doc by email to: email@example.com, Subject: Blog Post Submission
Font: Cambria 12-pt. font size
Spacing: 18-pt. (1½-space) vertical spacing
First page: Include the title and your full name at the top
Last page: Include a brief 5 sentence bio, written in third person, and a headshot. Add a link for the bird species photograph that you selected from Owen’s website.
File naming protocol: YourFirstNameLastName_Title