About the American Birding Association
The American Birding Association (ABA) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with the mission to inspire all people to enjoy and protect wild birds. The ABA supports the North American birding community through publications, field trips and travel, educational programs, young birder programs, rare bird alerts, and up to date information on taxonomy. The ABA maintains the ABA Checklist of Species and provides the birding Code of Ethics. The ABA has 14 staff across the United States. The headquarters is in Delaware City, DE currently occupied by one staff person. Learn more at www.aba.org.
The ABA seeks a Membership & Communications Manager who will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies to engage people with the ABA’s mission and programs, grow the membership base, and use mass marketing strategies to increase overall giving. The position is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing external communications. The person in this role will be a central figure who is aware of all ABA programs and activities in order to successfully market and communicate opportunities to the membership and external audiences. The Membership & Communications Manager is a full time, remote position that may require some infrequent travel and reports to the Executive Director.
- Responsible for implementing strategies to meet annual membership goals stated in the annual development business plan.
- Coordinate direct mail membership and two annual appeal campaigns in collaboration with ABA staff and contractors.
- Develop membership recruitment campaigns and challenges using the American Birding Podcast, social media, and other strategies.
- Regularly review and revise content and timing of member communications such as renewal notices, acknowledgement letters, new member letters and emails.
- In collaboration with other ABA staff, develop mini-campaigns around specific programs for time-bound fundraising.
- Generate e-newsletters.
- Manage the ABA’s social media posting, including developing and maintaining a content and scheduling calendar, creating posts, coordinating posting with other ABA staff, scheduling posts, and recommending boosts and additional marketing.
- Write and manage content for the ABA website in collaboration with the Webmaster and editors.
- In collaboration with other ABA staff, develop member Zoom events and other programming.
- Prepare and coordinate disbursement of press releases for program and event announcements. Build and maintain a press contact list.
- Source and maintain a warehouse of photographs and images to be used in communications and marketing.
- Work with publication editors and digital content coordinator to build a rolling content calendar.
- Coordinate with ABA staff and contractors to ensure any marketing obligations to customers or sponsors in ABA member communications or social media are met.
- Participate in team development and communications planning.
- 3+ years of experience as a nonprofit membership, fundraising, or communications professional.
- Excellent writing skills, specifically in crafting fundraising and membership appeals.
- Adept at communications using digital technologies and social media. Knowledge of best practices for writing and publishing on different social platforms.
- Software Skills – Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Adobe, NEON CRM, Hootsuite, and Mailchimp. Experience using NEON CRM preferred. Experience publishing content on WordPress a plus.
- Desktop publishing and/or graphic design skills are a plus.
- Familiarity with birding activities, community, and culture is a plus.
- Team oriented.
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Status and Compensation
Full time, exempt employee. Annual salary $47,000-50,000 depending on experience. Medical, dental, and vision benefits available. 2 weeks paid time off plus sick and holiday leave. The position is 100% remote with some infrequent travel.
Send a cover letter and resume to Nikki Belmonte, Executive Director at email@example.com. Deadline to apply is Tuesday, January 31, 2023.
The American Birding Association (ABA) is committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. The ABA provides equal employment opportunities with no discrimination against any individual with respect to compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability.